Areas, buildings and monuments
Since 1994 we have awarded £3.2billion to 10,200 area, historic building and monument projects across the UK.
These projects can help to sustain jobs, support economic growth and protect heritage at risk. They can also bolster local pride, nurture traditional craft skills and help communities enjoy and make use of the places they care about.
What do we support?
Projects we fund include:
- investment in places of worship
- conservation and repairs to historic buildings and places
- finding appropriate new uses for historic buildings
- community archaeology projects
Places of worship
Places of worship are among the UK’s oldest and most cherished historic buildings. We want to help congregations become truly resilient and their buildings genuinely sustainable.
Our funding could help people:
- repair and transform a historic building at the heart of their community
- help volunteers learn building conservation skills
- rescue a building on a Buildings at Risk register
- undertake a community archaeology project
- regenerate a historic town centre or high street
- look after and learn about a local war memorial
For more inspiration, see the stories below or browse projects we've funded.
How to get funding
Our National Lottery Grants for Heritage programme is open for applications.