How to apply
This guide only applies to our National Lottery Heritage Grants programme.
From time to time we distribute other funding programmes, including for governments across the UK. Refer to each programme’s guidance page to discover who these are for, what their aims are and how to apply.
1. Understand what we fund
We fund projects of all sizes that care for the UK’s heritage. Before you get started, find out more about what we fund.
2. Develop a project idea
Our National Lottery Heritage Grants programme offers funding at two levels:
Carefully read the guidance page for each range to understand:
- what the programme offers
- who it is for
- the difference your project needs to make
3. Get feedback on your project idea
- £10,000 to £250,000: you can use our optional Project Enquiry to get feedback within 10 working days.
- £250,000 to £10m: you must submit an Expression of Interest before starting a full funding application. You should receive feedback within 20 working days.
4. Submit a funding application
Use our Get funding for a heritage project service when you are ready to submit your application. The service will guide you through the different steps.
Applying for more than £250,000?
- If you want to apply for more than £250,000, you must first submit an Expression of Interest.
- If your Expression of Interest is successful, you will then submit a development phase application.
- If your development phase application is successful, you will receive funding and have up to two years to develop a detailed project proposal for your delivery phase application.
- When ready, you will then submit your delivery phase application.
Our application deadlines
- £10,000 to £250,000: open all year round
- £250,000 to £10m (both development and delivery phases): quarterly application deadlines
5. Getting a decision on your application
- Once received, your application is checked to make sure your organisation is eligible and that all the required documentation has been attached.
- £10,000 to £250,000: After application checks are complete, you should receive a decision within eight weeks. Decisions are made at monthly local meetings.
- £250,000 to £5m (both development and delivery phases): We will take up to 12 weeks to assess your application. It will then be presented at one of our quarterly Committee meetings. You will receive a decision as soon as possible after a meeting.
- Over £5m (both development and delivery phases): We will take up to 12 weeks to assess your application. It will then be presented at one of our quarterly Committee meetings and then presented at one of our Board meetings. You will receive a decision as soon as possible after a Board meeting.
If you are successful
You will use our Get funding for a heritage project service to receive and manage your grant. Find out more about what happens if you are awarded a grant:
If you are not successful
We will provide feedback on your application as soon as possible after the decision meeting. You may then choose to reapply with a revised application but you must first speak to us about this.