From industry rarity to art hub

From industry rarity to art hub

Stables and Motor House at Haworth Art Gallery
A semi-derelict building depicting a transformational turning point for industry in the North West will be saved and turned into a centre for local artists.

Haworth Art Gallery in Lancashire houses Europe’s largest collection of Tiffany glass but in its grounds sits a building with a very different story to tell.

The Stables and Motor House was purpose built in 1909 at a time when horse drawn power was beginning to be replaced by motorised vehicles, and as a result it was built to house both. The example of such a significant change in industry and the rarity of such buildings, especially in such an unaltered state, prompted English Heritage to describe it as of "national importance".

Unused for years, time has taken its toll on the building. Now a Lottery grant totalling over half a million pounds will bring the complex back into use – this time as much-needed artist studios and exhibition space. An activity programme for volunteers and interpretation boards will also see the heritage of the building brought to life for the first time.

[quote=Cllr Ken Moss]A centre of excellence for local artists...[/quote]

Councillor Ken Moss, Cabinet member for Education, Leisure and Arts at Hyndburn Council which owns the Stables and Motor House, said: “This HLF grant award and refurbishment works will enable us to restore the former Stable and Motor House, and at the same time create a hub for artists, making Haworth Art Gallery a centre of excellence for local artists.”

Work is expected to start in late spring and the new centre will be ready to welcome visitors by the end of April 2016.

You might also be interested in...