Founded as a public art gallery in 1889 The Whitworth was established as a “source of perpetual gratification to the people of Manchester” and began life as a place of inspiration and learning for Mancunians. The Whitworth became part of the University of Manchester in 1958.
This project created a contemporary extension connecting the gallery to Whitworth Park and engaged with a range of new audiences from the local community. The footprint of the gallery space increased by 30% to include: a landscape gallery; promenade gallery; café; art garden; learning studio; and study centre.
The existing building was refurbished to increase the proportion of collections on display and offer full equality of access for all visitors to stored collections. The creation of new dedicated workshop space for school groups and informal learners is also providing access to digital and art-making facilities.