Could you be Sustainable Project of the Year 2024?
The heritage sector plays an important role in helping to tackle climate change and protect our natural world. We’re looking for environmentally sustainable projects or exhibitions that help to achieve this.
We’re particularly delighted to continue to work with the Heritage Fund to champion the importance of preserving our environment and how this sector can make a difference.
Anna Preedy, Director of the Museums + Heritage Awards
The award, which we're sponsoring for the fifth year running, helps to shine a light on creative approaches to tackling climate change. We hope these will inspire others to embed sustainability at the heart of what they do.
The award closed for entries on 1 February 2024.
- Shortlist announced: Thursday 14 March 2024
- Winners announced: at a live ceremony in London on the evening of Wednesday 15 May 2024
There will be up to two winners
- One which has used simple, affordable and easily-transferable approaches, like our 2023 winner, the Food Museum.
- One which is a project with environmental sustainability embedded at its heart, like our 2023 winner, SS Great Britain Trust.
The selection process
We want to see outstanding environmentally sustainable projects or exhibitions that demonstrate best practice in managing or communicating environmental impacts.
Your project may have used, for example, energy efficiency measures, green visitor travel planning or unique approaches to engaging audiences with the climate crisis.
Entries should also identify any wider economic, social or environmental benefits to the organisation or community that have come from ‘thinking sustainably’.
Projects must be based in the UK and have been delivered in 2023.
The Museums + Heritage Awards
Anna Preedy, Director of Museums + Heritage, said: “The awards celebrate the rich tapestry of experiences and the many different voices that make up our sector, shining a spotlight on projects and programmes, large and small.
“We’re particularly delighted to continue to work with the Heritage Fund to champion the importance of preserving our environment and mitigating the impact of climate change, demonstrating how this sector can make a difference in the drive to net zero.”
Run a sustainable heritage project
As the largest funder for the UK's heritage, we have a significant role to play in improving environmental sustainability through the projects we fund, now more than ever.
We want all our projects to do their very best to help mitigate against and adapt to the effects of climate change and to help nature recover.
- Discover some of the environmentally friendly projects we’ve funded
- Get tips on how to consider environmental sustainability in your project
- Read our environmental sustainability guidance