- Bill Ferris (Chair)
- Andrew Blessley
- Emily Brennan
- Perdita Hunt
- Lydia Lee
- Susan McCormack
- Neena Sohal
Members joined by telecom:
- Lizzie Guntrip
The Chair welcomed everyone to the final meeting of the Committee for the South East of England.
2. Chair’s Report
The Chair reported that since the last meeting he had:
- attended the launch of the Strategic Funding Framework
- been invited to join the interim Area Committee for England, London & South as a Deputy Chair. Blondel Cluff had been appointed Chair and Stephen Boyce had been appointed as a Deputy Chair
- met Eilish McGuiness to discuss the future terms of reference for Committees.
3. Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the meeting on 21 November 2018
The minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting and were signed by the Chair.
5. Matters arising from the minutes
There were no matters arising.
6. Corporate Update
Sue Bowers, Deputy Director of Operations, presented the corporate update.
7. Regional Overview
Stuart McLeod, Head of Region, presented the report.
The Committee received a presentation about the work of the South East Team’s Diversity Working Group. The Group had been established to:
- monitor diversity targets
- support the development team and develop knowledge of good practice
- collaborate with existing grantees and share learning
- inform later work.
8. Budget Paper
Lucy Perry, Casework Manager, presented the paper and provided the Committee with an overview of key details:
- the first round budget had been fully allocated
- the final batch meeting for delegated decisions would be held on 20 March 2019
- the requirement to save 20% on second round applications had been met at the November 2018 meeting of the Committee
- two second round HG applications totalling £837,200 had been received for determination at this meeting. The Committee noted that there were sufficient funds to support both applications providing they met the quality threshold.
SF4 second round applications for discussion and decision
9. Hidden Hastings Heritage; HG-16-06361
Grantee: Groundwork South Trust Limited
Request: Award grant of £277,200 (61%)
Project: To deliver a two year programme of activities, in partnership with Hastings Borough Council, aimed at engaging local residents with Hastings Country Park. This 5km, coastal park, located in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, had multiple designations. Capital works would include the installation of interpretation, the repair of 2km of paths and the creation of a new 0.9km pathway to connect the Park’s two quarries.
The Committee for the South East of England had awarded a first round pass of £322,500 including a development grant of £45,300 (74% of total eligible development costs) in March 2017.
The Committee for the South East of England agreed that the project was a high priority for support and AWARDED a grant of £277,200 (61%).
10. Conserving and drawing new inspiration from the Bloomsbury Murals at Berwick Church, Sussex; HG-17-02748
CSEE 2019 (1) 10
Grantee: The Parochial Church Council of St Michael & All Angels Berwick
Request: Award grant of £560,000 (63%)
Project: To repair and conserve a set of murals located in the Grade I listed St Michael and All Angels Church at Berwick in East Sussex. The murals, created by three members of the group of artists collectively known as the 'Bloomsbury Group', were considered to be of international importance. Capital works to the interior of the Church, including heating installation, would ensure that the murals were housed in a more suitable environment to prevent further deterioration and loss. Visitor facilities would also be improved. A wide ranging programme of learning and participation activities aimed at widening engagement and improve understanding and appreciation of the murals would also be delivered.
The Committee for the South East of England had awarded a first round pass of £581,700 including development grant of £21,700 (49% of eligible development costs) in February 2018.
The Committee for the South East of England agreed that the project was a high priority for support and AWARDED a grant of £560,000 (63%).
11. Prioritisation of second round items
The Committee agreed to award grants to:
- Item 9: Hidden Hastings Heritage HG-16-06361
- Item 10: Conserving and drawing new inspiration from the Bloomsbury Murals at Berwick Church, Sussex; HG-17-02748.
SF4 Second round Board applications for discussion and recommendation
12. Heritage at the Heart of Graylingwell; HG-16-05889
Grantee: Chichester Community Development Trust
Request: Award grant of £1,300,900 (66%)
Project: To transform the Grade II listed Graylingwell Chapel into a multi-use heritage centre. The Chapel was located within the Graylingwell Hospital Conservation Area in Chichester. Capital works would include restoration works to the building’s historic fabric, new interpretation, meeting rooms and a café extension to create a multi-functional space for the community. A programme of learning and participation opportunities would highlight the stories and experiences of the people who resided and worked at Graylingwell during it’s time as a psychiatric hospital.
The Committee for the South East of England had awarded a first round pass of £1,445,900 including a development grant of £142,900 (68% of total eligible development costs) in September 2017.
The Committee for the South East of England recommended the application to the Board as a HIGH PRIORITY for support.
Papers for Information
13. Communications Report
Vicky Wilford (Communications Account Manager) presented the report highlighting the good media coverage on awards to Parks in the South East.
The Committee noted the report.
14. Any other business
The Chair commented on the privilege and honour it had been to serve on the Committee as a member and Chair for over 7 years. He thanked Stuart McLeod and Michelle Roffe for their help and support during this time and thanked the team for their professionalism, passion and commitment. He also thanked members and Chairs, past and present, for their support and interesting contribution to discussions.
The Committee thanked Bill Ferris for stepping into the role of Chair after Maria Adobowale-Schwarte had been appointed to the Board.
There was no other business.
Note of Annotation: This was the last meeting of the Committee for the South East of England. The Committee would be replaced from 1 April 2019 by the interim Area Committee for England, London & South which would cover the area originally covered by the Committees for the South East, South West and London.