In 2019 Selby Abbey is celebrating its 950th anniversary. It is a Grade 1 listed building and one of England’s great monastic churches. Selby Abbey is an integral part of Selby’s heritage; it is our most significant community asset and visitor destination.
Funded through National Lottery Heritage Fund, our project adds capacity to the existing team at Selby Abbey by employing a Community Engagement Co-ordinator on a 2 year fixed term (part-time 20hr) contract. Through this post we will identify, appraise, interpret, evaluate and add value to the significance of the heritage offer within and reflected from Selby Abbey. It will positively appraise and build on the skills and understanding of the existing team (and any new capacity attracted to the Abbey through recruitment of volunteers and ambassadors working on the Selby 950 celebrations) to maximise the reach of the Abbey to existing, potential and new audiences establishing a long term resilient heritage offer within Selby Abbey. At the end of this project we will have baseline data information that will inform and establish robust development and community engagement action plans. This will inform future grant applications both revenue and capital funding sources, securing its heritage for future generations. The Community Engagement Co-ordinator will be employed and hosted by Selby Abbey PCC but the line management will be shared with Selby District Council’s Community, Partnership and Customer (CPC) Team part of the Economic, Regeneration and Place Directorate. Fixed term contract in line with National Lottery Heritage Fund grant award. We are looking for a professional who has:
- A degree / professional qualification within the heritage sector ; or event / tourism management ; or significant evidenced experience in a related field to the community engagement, community activity delivery, heritage interpretation, destination management or business development sectors
- Can manage the scope and scale of the development project, initiating broad concepts for interpretation, community and visitor engagement; events, exhibitions, exploring themes and connections to use of Selby Abbey
- Will enjoy working with volunteers and supporting them to establish a defined heritage offer
- Experience of working in a community facing environment / thorough understanding of the needs of local authorities and their partners
- Up to date knowledge and experience of successful marketing and communications methods
- Able to develop influential relationships with a range of community, local and sub-regional stakeholders
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation including reports/returns to funders
- Experience of income generation
- Able to demonstrate an awareness of the needs of our customers and audiences
Salary £20,541 pro rata per annum
Part time (20hrs per week) Hours: 0.54 FTE (Fixed Term For 2 Year to March 2021)
Please request the full brief and application from email@example.com Please note we are unable to send the brief by post.
Closing time and date 12pm - Friday 21st June 2019