Schedule of Decisions under delegated powers to Head of HLF South East on 29 January 2019
1. Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust Restharrow Scrape Development Project
This project will purchase a wildlife site under threat, and engage different audiences with its importance to ecology.
Applicant: Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust
Decision: Award grant of £99,500 (31%)
2. Connecting Communities With Hidden Lesbian Stories Embedded In Popular Heritage From The Past
This project will deliver a series of community events across the UK, exploring the lives and works of lesbian entertainers Gwen Farrar and Norah Blaney.
Applicant: Behind The Lines
Decision: Award grant of £20,000 (100%)
3. Preserving and sharing a church of the 1960s
A Roman Catholic church in Strood wishes to deliver roof repairs with some interpretation and engagement, in their important modernist building.
Applicant: English Martyrs RC Church Strood
Decision: Award grant of £69,900 (64%)
4. Barking, Booths and Bottlers: Sussex seashore entertainers between the two World Wars
This community education project will explore the world of seafront entertainers and entertainments in Sussex between the wars
Applicant: The Fedora Group
Decision: Award grant of £33,000 (70%)
5. Wantsum Land
This project will engage young people with the heritage of the Wantsum Channel, Kent.
Applicant: Project Motorhouse
6. Oxford for All
Applicant: Oxford Civic Society
7. Radical Roots and Dangerous Ideas
Decision: Award grant of £42,400 (86%)
1. Portslade's 1000 year history started here. The story and rescue of Portslade's Norman Manor
This project will improve access and visibility of Portslade's Norman Manor house, communicate its historic importance, and explore possible solutions for its longer-term sustainability.
Applicant: Fresh Start Portslade
Decision: Award grant of £10,000 (85%)
2. After the Riots: Women and Temperance in Victorian Worthing
This project will protect, explore and share archives about Worthing’s temperance movements.
Applicant: Christ Church Parochial Church Council Outreach Committee
Decision: Award Grant of £8,000 (80%)
3. Creation of a Wheatley Heritage Trail with walk leaflet and interpretation boards
A local history group in an Oxfordshire village wishes to install interpretation to create a village trail
Applicant: Wheatley Village Archive
Decision: Award grant of £8,500 (100%)
4. Osney Lock Hydro - unlocking the power of our river
An Oxford community environmental charity wishes to increase the profile of their hydro-electric plant through interpretation and activities, celebrating the area’s cultural and natural heritage.
Applicant: Osney Lock Hydro
Decision: Award grant of £9,900 (99%)
5. Charles Kingsley 200 Festival Pageant - The History of Child Labour in Our Community
The project will deliver a re-enacted pageant, accompanied by workshops, talks and learning packs.
Applicant: Charles Kingsley Society
Decision: Award grant of £5,000 (100%)
1. Culture: Impact
Applicant: Hampshire Cultural Trust
Decision: Award grant of £35,800 (90%)
First World War
1. Shalom Sussex - The Jewish Community in WWI
Applicant: Strike a Light – Arts and Heritage
Decision: Award grant of £10,000 (91%)
2. Lasting Memories - marking 100 years of peace after the First World War (28th June 1919)
The project will explore the effects of the period between the declaration of the armistice and the signing of the Versailles treaty in June 1919
Applicant: Screen South
Decision: Award grant of £9,900 (100%)